As a firm of Canadian immigration consultants in Vancouver, the team at Racer Immigration stays on top of the latest immigration and visa-related developments. For those looking to get parents or grandparents into Canada for extended periods, the Super Visa is an option to note.
With limited applications available, it can be hard for children to bring their parents or grandparents into the country. Out of 100,000 applications made to acquire the required form for the Parents and Grandparents Program, less than a third get through.
As an alternative to stay connected during the long process, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has indicated that those unable to submit an Interest to Sponsor form could still try to bring parents and grandparents to Canada using a Super Visa
The Super Visa is valid for up to 10 years and allows eligible parents and grandparents to visit their family for up to two years at a time. This is ideal for relatives living in countries that require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for entry into Canada because they will then be able to travel freely between Canada and their country of residence without having to re-apply for a TRV after six months.
The Super Visa is available year-round and has a lower income requirement than Canada’s Parents and Grandparents Program, and most applications are processed within a few weeks.
To apply for a Super Visa, a parent or grandparent must:
- Have a signed letter from a child or
grandchild who invites them to Canada that includes:
- a promise of financial support for the duration of their visit
- the list and number of people in the household of this person
- a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- Have medical insurance from a
Canadian insurance company that:
- is valid for at least one year from the date of entry
- provides at least $100,000 for minimum coverage
- have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted)
- The recipient must also:
- be allowed to enter Canada
- take an immigration medical exam
Please note that Super Visa applicants must be visitors who intend to leave at the end of their visit.
For those hoping to secure immigration status for parents or grandparents, please contact Racer immigration consultants in Vancouver at (778) 688-4848 to learn more.